Andrew Carnegie said it best with his quote “People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents.” Self-motivation is an essential part of excelling in life. You must learn to motivate yourself because you cannot depend on others to do it for you. You have to know how to encourage yourself regardless of how bad the situation is. There are several keys to building self-motivation.
- Work towards a cause.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.
- Make a conscious effort to not give up.
- Don’t live in your past failures or successes.
- Utilize positive thinking.
There are times when you may need the motivation to get motivated. Positive thinking may not be doing the trick. What should you do? Consider these suggestions:
- Write down your plan for improvement.
- Briefly think about your past successes.
- Read books that promote self-motivation.