Using Relaxation Techniques
According to the Mayo Clinic, relaxation techniques can reduce stress symptoms by:
- Slowing your heart rate
- Lowering blood pressure
- Slowing your breathing rate
- Increasing blood flow to major muscles
- Reducing muscle tension and chronic pain
- Improving concentration
- Reducing anger and frustration
- Boosting confidence to handle problems
There are several common types of relaxation techniques, with three of them being:
- Autogenic: This technique uses the senses to promote relaxation. For example, one may think about a peaceful place and then use relaxed breathing. Or they might repeat words in their mind to do away with muscle tension.
- Progressive muscle: In this technique, individuals purposely tense and then relax each muscle group.
- Visualization: With visualization, the individual imagines a calming place and tries to utilize his or her senses to feel like they are really at that place.